List Of Thought-Provoking Essay Topic Ideas Related To Music
Writing about music can be a lot of fun, but it can also be a challenge when you can’t come up with a thought-provoking essay topic worthy of an entire assignment. The best approach is to choose something that is unique and interesting to you because it should make for a more enjoyable read. Here are is a list of some really great topic ideas about music to consider:
- Do you think popular award shows affect or influence the types of music that people listen to? Or do you think these award shows reflect what people listen to on their own?
- In what ways has the music industry changed since the major pirating and illegal distribution of copyrighted material against file sharing programs like Napster took place in the early 2000s.
- Is it true that electronic files such as MP3s will completely do away with older forms of media technologies like CDs and vinyl records? Has this already happen or will the older forms survive for decades still?
- It’s been said that the electronic music industry has done away with traditional brick and mortar music stores, thus putting thousands of people out of work in the process. Is this something that should occur naturally or should governments help save this industry?
- Compare and contrast popular music of the 1950s with popular music of the 2000s. What are the major differences and similarities between the two?
- Do you believe that other factors such as social media presence and state of celebrity help influence an artist’s success in the music industry?
- How does international music influence domestic and popular artists’ creation of songs? Do you believe borrowing music from international artists without attributing credit is a type of stealing?
- How effective are piracy laws today in curbing illegal copying and distribution of copyrighted material? Do you believe the technology is too advanced to be stopped by the laws as they are written?
- What effect does music have on a student’s ability to learn and in overall professional success? Do you think the old studies pointing to classical music as a good tool for learning are still true?
- How have some musicians been able to maintain success across several decades in contrast to others who have only known a flash of success through a one-hit wonder? Do you think this has always been a trend in popular music?
Free Creative Writing Prompts #36: Music
The song that accompanied your first kiss. The big crescendo at the end of your favorite movie. Music has an uncanny ability to affect nearly everybody. And the way that this music hits everybody can be in a completely subjective and different way. These free creative writing prompts are about your experiences with music and your dreams and fantasies about how it could affect your life. I for one believe that music and writing are difficult to separate and that there are an unlimited amount of music resources that can help with your writing. Enjoy!
Free Creative Writing Prompts: Music
3. Describe your best concert experience of all time. What was the band, who did you go with, and why has it stuck with you as being so fantastic? Go into extreme detail and feel free to make use of band lyrics.
4. Most people have a genre of music that just does not appeal to them. What is yours and why? Create a dialogue between two characters: one who loves that genre and one (like you) who hates it.5. You have the esteemed pleasure of watching your son, daughter, niece, or nephew at his or her very first band concert. Talk about how it went, how cute it was seeing little kids do music, and how off-key they were :).
6. You are the lead singer in a brand-new chart topping band! How does it feel to be so famous for creating art? What is it like having so many fans and having to keep the band happy when egos begin to clash?
7. If you could be proficient in any one instrument what would it be and why? What would you do if you had immense talent in creating music with this instrument?
8. Have you ever had a piece of music change your life? What specifically changed you and why? If you haven't, just create a character or a piece of music that would cause such a thing to occur.
9. It's hard not to associate certain pieces of music with certain people and times in your life. Write a "High Fidelity"-esque autobiographical piece about five songs that will forever be linked with particular people, for better or for worse.
10. As of the writing of this article, the television show "American Idol" has made thousands of people try out for a spot on the show. Create a story in which you go to audition (after practicing heavily I'm sure) and detail your experience at the tryout.
In addition to these ten prompts, you can listen to any song ever created and pull ideas from that. With websites like Pandora and LastFM, you can even discover new music based on your preferences for free. This is the perfect time to make music a part of your writing. I hope you enjoyed these free creative writing prompts and that your next piece of writing is as beautiful as a Mozart concerto!
Bonus Prompt - You have assembled an all-star team of producers and recording artists to record the best music album ever. Who do you bring together and how does it go?
Related Articles to Free Creative Writing Prompts about Music
Free Creative Writing Prompts from the Heart, Part 1
Free Creative Writing Prompts #2: Love
Creative Writing Exercises #2: Relaxation
Done with this page? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
comments powered by
Written by Bryan Cohen
Bryan Cohen is the author of more than 30 books, many of which focus on creative writing and blasting through that pesky writer's block. His books have sold more than 20,000 copies. You can find him on Google+ and Facebook.